Monday, February 25, 2013

Allover Lace Dress

A few months ago I had a customer contact me about making three dresses for her Massachusetts wedding this June.  She really loved my allover lace dress but wanted something with a strapless bodice under the lace.



I didn't expect the order to take as long to make as it did but I ended up having a few problems along the way.  The main problem I had with this order was that I had to special order the fabric.  When it arrived it came in two bolts and the fabric didn't match in color.  I ended up having to send the fabric back and request it come in one single cut (this is something that is usually expected in the fabric world).  When I finally got the fabric and began working on the dresses I realized I'd have to sew french seams through the entire lace section of the dress.  I had already cut most of the pieces and french seams need a little extra seam allowance so I actually lost a few yards of fabric because of the mistake.  Luckily I ordered a few extra yards just in case I ran into a problem.

I finished the dresses two weeks ago and I LOVE them!  I'm actually thinking about adding them to my shop soon:


The dresses feature all over lace with french seams.  The under layer of the dress has a classic sweetheart silhouette with a gathered waistline, lined bodice and poly boning.  The back of the dress zips up the center back along with a hook and eye closure at the top of the zipper and a matching fabric/lace covered shank button.  The dress also features a scallop lace hem.


No comments:

Post a Comment